Uploading a file and publishing simply refers to the process of transferring files from a computer to a website. In web hosting file transfers, a FTP or File transfer protocol needs an FTP client to transfer files. This article is a tutorial on how to upload files using Filezilla. There are a lot of FTP clients for different operating systems such as Linux, Windows and Mac. But in this tutorial, we will only discuss FTP clients for Windows since it is the most used operating system.
How to download Filezilla?
First thing to do is to go to https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client, download the file and install it on your computer. For Windows users, find the windows section that has a ‘recommended’ word. Once you are done downloading it, open the file, and follow the installation instructions.
You need to know several details from your hosting service before you can start uploading files to your site. You need to know the:
- Host name of the file transfer protocol server
- Log-in information for FTP account (username and password)
- Location of the directory
In some cases, your web host will tell you that you do not have an FTP access. This tutorial can’t help you out in that case since you should really have an FTP account.
Step by step guide on uploading files to websites using FileZilla
Filezilla allows you to upload any files you want. PNG, GIF, JPG and other image and video files (MP3, MP4, WAV and MIDI) can be uploaded in Filezilla.
Here are the steps on how to upload files using FileZilla
- Open FileZilla, click the “File” and select the “Site Manager” item on the menu. A small dialog box will appear.
- Click the “New Site” menu on the dialog box. Change the name “New FTP site” to the name of your site.
- Under the “General” tab, key in the name of your FTP server in the “Host” input box.
- Keep the “Port” and the “Server type” entry boxes empty. Select “Normal” from the drop down list box for “Logon type”. This will enable the “User id” and “Password” boxes for the next process.
- Key in your user id or your login details into the “User” box. Also, type your password. Note: This information is automatically kept into your computer and will be accessible the next time you run FileZilla.
- After typing in your username and password, click the “Connect” button. FileZilla will automatically log you into your host server.
- After successfully logging in, a directory listing of the website will appear on the right side of FileZilla window.
- If the host will only allow you to upload a specific directory, change the folder name on the right window “remote site”.
- Locate the file that you want to upload. After locating it, double click the file or drag the file from the computer to the FileZilla panel. Your chosen file will be automatically uploaded to your new folder.
- You will see an upload progress in the Filezilla panel; wait for it until it reaches 100%. Once everything is uploaded, disconnect FileZilla.
As easy as that, you have effectively uploaded your files to your website. This tutorial will really help you upload and publish files using FileZilla.